Prepare to indulge in the ultimate comfort food with this Homemade Chicken and Dumplings recipe. Nothing beats the warmth and flavor of a bowl filled with tender dumplings swimming in a rich chicken broth. Let’s dive into the simple steps to create this classic and comforting dish that’s perfect for any cozy evening!
For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
For the Soup:
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
Making the Dumplings:
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a fork or pastry blender.
- Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
Rolling and Cutting the Dumplings:
- Heavily flour a work surface. You’ll need a rolling pin and something to cut the dumplings with (like a pizza cutter).
- Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin.
- Dip your cutter in flour and cut the dumplings into squares about 2×2 inches each. They don’t need to be exact.
- Use the floured spatula to lift the dumplings off the cutting surface. Keep flouring between the layers of dumplings.
Cooking the Dumplings and Making the Soup:
- To cook them, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them. The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth.
- Cook the dumplings for about 15 to 20 minutes or until they no longer taste doughy.
- Add the cooked chicken to the pot.
In conclusion, this Homemade Chicken and Dumplings recipe is a soul-warming delight, bringing together simple ingredients to create a bowl of pure comfort. With fluffy dumplings and savory chicken, each spoonful is a taste of home. Serve up this classic dish to warm hearts and bellies on chilly days!