Relish the nostalgic flavors of an American classic with this Old-Fashioned Goulash recipe. Hailing from Minnesota, this hearty dish combines ground beef, macaroni, and a medley of savory spices for a comforting and satisfying meal. Learn how to create this time-honored dish that warms the heart and brings back fond memories of home-cooked goodness.
- 1/2 lb macaroni
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- Garlic salt, pepper, chili powder, & hot sauce to taste
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans whole stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Tomato juice as needed
How To Make Old-Fashioned Goulash:
- Cook the macaroni to al dente according to package directions. While it’s cooking, brown the ground beef and onion together in an extra-large skillet or in a Dutch oven.
- Drain and season the beef and onions with garlic salt, pepper, chili powder, and hot sauce to taste.
- In a large bowl, mash the whole stewed tomatoes with a potato masher and add them to the beef along with the ketchup.
- Drain the cooked macaroni and add it to the beef mixture, stirring well. Taste and add additional seasoning as needed.
- If you prefer a juicier goulash, add tomato juice to your liking. This step is especially useful for leftovers, as the noodles tend to absorb the juice over time.
- Enjoy this hearty and comforting Old-Fashioned Goulash, a classic American dish that’s perfect for any night of the week!
In conclusion, Old-Fashioned Goulash transcends generations, offering a taste of home and a comforting blend of flavors. Whether you grew up with it or are discovering it for the first time, this recipe promises a satisfying meal that fills your kitchen with warmth and the aroma of wholesome goodness. Embrace the simplicity and heartiness of this classic American dish and create lasting memories around the dinner table. Enjoy every delicious bite!